doonicky, dohicky, do-hicky
an object with an unknown name, or whose name could not be thought of at the moment it was needed.
see also thingymabob, thingymajig
hey bob, get that dohicky that changes the channel.
- A small object or gadget, esp. one whose name the speaker does not know or cannot recall
- – a garage filled with electronic parts and other valuable doohickeys
- doodad: something unspecified whose name is either forgotten or not known; “she eased the ball-shaped doodad back into its socket”; “there may be some great new gizmo around the corner that you will want to use”
- Placeholder names are words that can refer to objects or people whose names are either temporarily forgotten, irrelevant, or unknown in the context in which it is being discussed. …
- A thing (used in a vague way to refer to something whose name one cannot recall)
- an informal placeholder term used to identify an article, object, tool, part, gadget, device, contrivance, mechanism, technique, or process whose proper name is unknown or forgotten; including dingus, gismo / gizmo, thingy / thingee, thingamabob / thingumabob, thingamajig / thingumajig, whatsis …